Benefits of getting a COVID-19 vaccine
Getting a COVID-19 vaccine is a safer, more reliable way to build protection than getting sick with COVID-19. COVID-19 vaccination helps protect you by creating an antibody response without you having to experience potentially severe illness or post-COVID conditions.
COVID-19 vaccines build safe, reliable protection
Becoming infected with COVID-19 can have serious consequences. According to the latest information from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention:
- Getting sick with COVID-19 can cause severe illness or death, even in children, and we can’t reliably predict who will have mild or severe illness.
- You may have long-term health issues after having COVID-19. Even people who do not have symptoms when they are first infected can have these ongoing health problems, also known as long COVID or post-COVID conditions.
While people can get some protection from having COVID-19, the level and length of that protection varies:
- Immunity (protection) from infection can vary depending on how mild or severe someone’s illness was and their age.
- Immunity from infection decreases over time.
- Importantly, there is still no antibody test available that can reliably determine if a person is protected from further infection.